edci 338

Blog Post #8

o Explore the video provided and reflect on the themes of a PLN in a professional capacity.

Brad Baker is working for many communities and is actively engaged in social media. He has built a healthy network through social media. I am interested in his statement about the effect of PLN. He believes that PLN, for one thing, can help build a harmonious community and encourage people to care for each other. For another, PLN allows people to challenge each other because without regional limitations, we can hear everyone’s voice through the internet and some of them hold different opinions from us. That’s a good thing because that’s how we start to understand others and learn new things. It’s also a sign of polarization, embracing every different opinion in the process. 

o Which social media platforms are beneficial in education?

I think the most beneficial social media platforms are MOOC and Quora. MOOC is a platform providing online education where people can find countless resources, including courses from famous universities and related study materials. I think the platform is great because it shows promise in offering low-cost and effective learning. Whether it is for poor kids or for graduated employees, MOOC enables people to find useful information and learn new knowledge, exploring new possibilities of their lives. 

Another platform is Quora. I think the platform is irreplaceable and unique because you can post your own questions instead of merely checking out the already existing question. Besides, you can get various answers from different people. Since people are from different backgrounds, you may harvest new and interesting perspectives of looking at things. what’s more, it is a bridge connecting people with different experiences. When you get an answer to a specific question, you may possibly also get to know the inspiring experiences of others. 

o Consider the equality that exists when all have the same platform to engage community dialogues.

If all have the same platform to engage community dialogues, I think that would facilitate equal conversations and mutual learning. Online platforms enable people to hide their identities. They do not need to present their birthplace, age, job, race, and education background so that the members would focus more on their thoughts and their language without strings attached. I believe this provides opportunities for everyone to involve in the conversations. 

In such an equal environment, people are more encouraged to learn from each other and therefore build a personal learning network. According to the social cognitive theory, humans observe others’ behaviors and learn from them. This can not only boost learning but also can develop inclusion because we may appreciate someone who we won’t in realities through online talking, considering more identity information we are given in real life. 

M. (2021, June 10). Brad Baker EDCI 338. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4&feature=youtu.be

Veletsianos, G. (2010). Emerging Technologies in Distance Education. Amsterdam University Press.

1. Hello quiningliu,

I agree with on Quora being a great social website where users generate and edit questions and answers. Depending on the user, some might use it for finding resources for their research while some would connect with other through it. How do you think you would use it personally?

2. Hi quiningliu,
    This is the first time I heard about Quora, so I searched the Internet. I feel that it is a bit similar to Facebook, but it is more focused on Q&A. People can find people with similar interests and establish contacts by asking questions. That is interesting.

Bonnie

3. Hello,

I agree that the same platform leads to equal conversations and mutual learning, and I do believe that it allows for the hiding of identities but I think the point of giving all individuals the same platform is to express these identities. By allowing anyone regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, class, etc, to engage and express their experiences/identities and opinions can lead to a more inclusive and equal platform as it brings such a different perspective to the table for individuals to grow and learn from and for others to feel spoken for and represented.